The Gambling Counselor Core Training provides the 30 CE hours required for certification as a Washington State Certified Gambling Counselor (WSCGC), and/or certification through the International Gambling Counselor Certification Board. The training includes a 10-hour self-directed portion (Part 1) and a 20-hour live-learning webinar portion (Part 2).
For those seeking to become Washington State Certified Gambling Counselors, please familiarize yourself with the Certification requirements , including education and licensing requirements, to verify your eligibility and ability to complete the Certification program. The Gambling Counselor Core Training is open to all, but only those who qualify are eligible to complete the Gambling Counselor Certification program.
The next Gambling Counselor Core Training will be held October 18-21, 2021. Check back here regularly for updates or click here to be added to the email distribution list for upcoming trainings.
10-Hour Self-Directed training includes:
- Intro to Problem Gambling and Gambling Disorder – Tana Russell, SUDP, NCTTP, WSCGC-II
- Problem Gambling in Washington State – Maureen Greeley
- Health Considerations for Gambling Disorder – Timothy Fong, MD
- Neurobiology and Genetics – Timothy Fong, MD
- Introduction to Screens – Lori Rugle, PhD, ICGC-II, BACC, ICGD
- Treatment Planning Best Practices – Tana Russell, SUDP, NCTTP, WSCGC-II
- Co-Occurring Tobacco issues and Curriculum Resources – Tana Russell, SUDP, NCTTP, WSCGC-II
- Treating Families: Rules, Roles, and Motivations – Tana Russell, SUDP, NCTTP, WSCGC-II
- Client Rights – Lori Rugle, PhD, ICGC-II, BACC, ICGD
- Legal Issues and Therapeutic Justice – Judge Cheryl Moss, JD and Denise Quirk, MA, MFT, LCADC, BACC, ICGC-II, CPGC-S
20-Hour Live training includes:
- Screening: Skills Practice
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Assessment/Supervision Role Play and LOC Placement
- Treatment Planning: Skills Practice
- Domestic Violence, Trauma, PTSD, and Suicide
- Co-occurring Disorders and Problem Gambling
- Treating Families: Therapeutic Interventions
- Engaging Clients in Treatment
- Wellness and Recovery Planning
- Cultural Competence and Gambling Disorder
- Financial Therapy
- Washington State Problem Gambling Program
- Counselor Certification
- Multiple Pathways to Recovery
- Self-Care for Gambling Counselors
To register, download the fillable PDF registration form, or apply online.
Scholarships are available to support individuals with training, professional development, and certification fees.
Scholarships are available for treatment providers seeking to become Certified Gambling Counselors, Prevention Specialists, Peer/Recovery Coaches, and undergraduate/graduate students or professors/counselors in accredited Washington State college and university behavioral health, addictions, and counseling programs. Scholarships are available for all ECPG workshops and conferences.