How do you gamble responsibly?
- Set a time limit (before you go) and stick to it
- Set a money limit (before you go) and stick to it
- Gamble only for fun (it’s an expense for entertainment, like seeing a movie)
- Accept losing as part of the game (you are paying to play a game)
- Don’t borrow money to gamble – not even from yourself (only gamble if it’s in your entertainment budget)
- Don’t let gambling interfere with family, friends, or work (stop if it causes any level of problems)
- Don’t gamble to win back losses (you expect to lose, when it’s gone, it’s gone)
- Don’t gamble to get money (it’s not a source of income, it’s an expense for fun)
- Don’t gamble to cope with emotional or physical pain (don’t self-medicate with it)
If you find yourself struggling to stick to the guidelines for responsible gambling, it may mean that gambling is becoming more than just recreational. If you are dealing with problems related to gambling, including a struggle to sick to your desired limits, click here for more information and help resources.