Career Opportunities & Certification For Treatment Providers
You may already be seeing problem gamblers in your counseling practice.
- More than 100,000 Washington residents struggle with Problem Gambling.
- At least 25,000 are compulsive or pathological gamblers, the most serious form of the disorder.
As a Washington State Certified Gambling Counselor, you can:
- Contract with the Evergreen Council on Problem Gambling (ECPG) to provide no-cost outpatient treatment to Washington residents who can’t afford it.
- Refer Washington clients who need in-patient treatment to residential programs paid for by ECPG.
Washington State Gambling Counselor Certification
For Washington licensed mental health and chemical dependency professionals, state certification requires:
- 30 hours of gambling-specific training
- 100 hours of direct client services with 5 hours of supervision
- Passing score on the national exam
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
The Council offers workshops throughout the year that qualify toward the 30 hours of gambling-specific education required for the Washington State and National Councils on Problem Gambling Certification Programs, and for certification by a variety of state and national organizations (e.g., the Association for Addiction Professionals, NAADAC). We also customize trainings for organizations.
Click here for a certification application packet.
Please contact us if you have specific questions or would like more information regarding certifications.