Thank you for your interest in the CAROL professional development scholarship opportunities for Nevada treatment providers, prevention specialists, peer/recovery coaches, and students pursuing a relevant degree. The scholarships were developed in a partnership between the Nevada Council on Problem Gambling (NCPG) and the Evergreen Council on Problem Gambling (ECPG) to encourage and support participation by Nevada professionals working in behavioral health, addictions, and counseling programs to increase competence in the field of problem gambling. CAROL scholarships were established in honor of Carol O’Hare in recognition of her decades of service as Executive Director of the Nevada Council on Problem Gambling.
A limited number of professional development scholarships will be available during the 2023-2024 academic calendar that will include:
- Registration for up to four days at an in-person conference (3 scholarships available). Eligible conferences include the Four Directions Conference (September 18-21, 2023) and the Focus on the Future Conference (April 29-May 2, 2024)
- Registration for online webinar training (10 scholarships available). Eligible webinar trainings include Winter 2024 (Jan 29-Feb 1, 2024)
- Registration for online webinar training (3 scholarships available) “Introduction to Problem Gambling for Peer Recovery Support Specialists” and coverage of fee for subsequent Problem Gambling Endorsement. (Self-paced: register anytime through June 30, 2024.)
- Airfare stipend up to $250 to attend in-person conferences.
- Hotel stipend up to $175 per night, up to three nights, for any scholarship recipient who books their lodging in the ECPG room block for the specified training/conference.
Additional lodging costs, meals, incidentals, and travel expenses are the responsibility of the attendee.
Continuing Education Units/Certification:
Evergreen Council on Problem Gambling is an Approved Provider of Continuing Education by The Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC), and the International Gambling Counselor Certification Board (IGCCB). Our workshops have also been approved for continuing education by the Mental Health Addictions Certification Board of Oregon (MHACBO), and the American Academy of Healthcare Providers in the Addictive Disorders (AAHCPAD).
CAROL Scholarship applicants MUST:
- Be Nevada residents working in treatment, prevention, recovery, or public health in the behavioral health or mental health arenas, or who are working toward a degree, licensure, or certification in one of the above.
- Complete the online CAROL scholarship application form
- CAROL applications for the Four Directions Conference MUST BE RECEIVED BY AUGUST 1, 2023.
- CAROL applications for the Focus on the Future Conference MUST BE RECEIVED BY MARCH 1, 2024.
- CAROL applications for eligible online webinars/trainings will be evaluated on a case-by-case and first-come-first-served basis.
- Complete and upload the appropriate registration form with your scholarship application
- Applicants may only apply for scholarships for EITHER an in-person conference award OR an online webinar training award, but not both. Individuals who apply for an in-person conference award but who are not awarded a scholarship are eligible to re-apply for an online webinar training.
CAROL Scholarship Recipients will be notified of their awards no later than 30 days prior to the conference registration deadline for the specified training/conference event. Awardees must provide evidence of registration/travel/lodging receipts to be reimbursed for the related costs.
Apply for a scholarship online: