Gaming Recovery Trigger Warning: In this episode we talk about game genres, types of games, name some specific games, talk about VR, things that might be fun to play, and types of positive aspects of gaming. We also mention that gaming can be addicting and can have other potential harms. If any of this is triggering, we encourage you to protect your recovery and understand that you might choose to not listen to this episode.
Women in Gaming
You may have heard that women are now nearly 50% of gamers, but that data generally includes all genres including mobile games. When it comes to online multiplayer and first person shooter games, it’s still very male-dominated. What’s it like for women gamers in these settings? Dr. McGinnis shares a fascinating view from her 20 years of experience as a female gamer, a researcher of video games and anger, and her experience as a professional counselor, about what it’s like for women in a male-dominated gamer culture.
Tana Russell, SUDP, WSCGC-II, NCTTP
Evergreen Council on Problem Gambling
With Special Guest:
Carol McGinnis, Ph.D, SIP, BC-TMH, LCPC, NCC
Associate Professor of Counseling, Clinical Mental Health Counseling Track Coordinator
- McGinnis, C.Z.A.S. (2010). Psycho-spiritual components in Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter Xbox videogaming. Publication No. 3421137) [Doctoral dissertation, Loyola University Maryland]. ProQuest Dissertations Publishing. https://www.proquest.com/openview/96e88da19272ea47a04b3149e8dc8866/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=18750
- Anger Works by AWI Institute https://www.anger.works/
- Gamequitters: https://gamequitters.com/
- Internet and Technology Addicts Anonymous: https://internetaddictsanonymous.org/
- OLGA/OLG-Anon: https://www.olganon.org/home