Jody Bechtold and Dr. Stephanie Deiz-Morel Share
A couple brilliant “bookworms” and authors, Jody Bechtold and Dr. Stephanie Deiz-Morel, share about some of the most influential authors and bodies of work that contributed to their understanding of problem gambling and gaming. They also share about some of their own publications, what they read for fun, and make recommendations for books that make great gifts.
Tana Russell, SUDP, WSCGC-II, NCTTP
Evergreen Council on Problem Gambling
With Special Guests:
Jody Bechtold, LCSW, ICGC-II, BACC, PC
CEO, The Better Institute
Dr. Stephanie Diez-Morel, LCSW, MCAP, IGDC, BACC
Associate Professor, Social Work Department
Guest Websites and Publications
- The Better Institute
- The Gambling Disorder Treatment Handbook
- Engel, R. J., Bechtold, J., Kim, Y., & Mulvaney, E. (2012). Beating the odds: Preparing graduates to address gambling-related problems. Journal of Social Work Education, 48(2), 321-335
- Reboot & Recover
- Stephanie Diez-Morel publications: ResearchGate Profile and GoogleScholar Profile
- Diez, Stephanie L. (2019). The Mediating Effects of Problematic Internet and Video Gaming Behaviors on Family, Cultural, and Individual Constructs among Latinx and Non-Latinx Black Youth. FIU Electronic Theses and Dissertations. 3966.
- Dowd, B., Hein, K., Diez, S. L., Prokofieva, M., Kannis-Dymand, L., & Stavropoulos, V. (2022). Cross-Addiction Risk Profile Associations with COVID-19 Anxiety: a Preliminary Exploratory Study. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction.
Both contributed to:
Mentioned authors and publications:
- Born to Lose – Memoirs of a Compulsive Gambler, by Bill Lee
- Brene Brown publications
- Dr. Jon E Grant publications
- Dr. Lori Rugle publications
- Dr. Marc Potenza publications
- Dr. Rachel Volberg publications
- Gibson, E., Griffiths, M. D., Filipa, C., Harris, A. (2022). The relationship between videogame micro-transactions and problem gaming and gambling: A systematic review. Computers in Human Behavior, 131
- Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs
- Overcoming Pathological Gambling: Therapist Guide (Treatments That Work), by Robert Ladouceur and Stella Lachance
- Stolen Focus, by Johann Hari
- The Storyteller: Tales of Life and Music, by Dave Grohl
- Vuorinen, I., Savolainen, I., Hagfors, H., Oksanen, A. (2022). Basic psychological needs in gambling and gaming problems. Addictive Behaviors Reports, 16, 100445
Books that make great gifts:
- Come As You Are, by Emily Nagoski
- Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement: A Guide for Officers and Their Families, by Dr. Kevin Gilmartin
- Mindset: The new Psychology of Success, by Carol S. Dweck
- The Body Keeps the Score, by Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
The referencing of external hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by ECPG of the linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. Unless otherwise specified, ECPG does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at these locations or on the listserv. All links are provided with the intent of meeting the educational goals and mission of ECPG. Please let us know about existing external links you believe are inappropriate and about specific additional external links you believe ought to be included.