Youth and Underage Gambling
Teens and young adults are routinely warned about the hazards of drug and alcohol abuse. Rarely, if ever, are they cautioned about Problem Gambling. They need to know:
- Games of chance can be a lot of fun - but they can also be addictive
- One out of 12 Washington adolescents (8.4%)* are at risk of becoming Problem Gamblers
- The consequences of Problem Gambling are serious for youth and can look surprisingly like drug and alcohol abuse
- At any age, if you gamble, it is important to set and stick to limits
* Volberg & Moore, 1999
Please help us spread the word. Teens and young adults are more vulnerable to Problem Gambling. Excellent resources are available:
- Request a group presentation. Speakers are available to visit most areas of Washington State
- Visit www.addictionisagamble.com, an interactive website for teens
- Request a free copy of the Shake 'm Up Break 'm DVD and Discussion Guide, an awesome video appropriate for Teens and Young Adults. It will be mailed to you at no cost.
- Learn about the Youth Problem Gambling Awareness and The Arts Grant Program - funding to create youth-to-youth messages on Problem Gambling. Deadline is 5:00 pm, Friday, January 27, 2012.
- New Directions program is coming soon.